Language Leaders are appointed each year in KS2 to support and promote language learning. The initial group of Language Leaders worked with Señora Stevens to develop a ‘job description’.
A Language Leader should:
- Lead by example and use their languages
- Encourage people to use their home language(s)
- Help people understand other languages
- Support people who don’t speak English
- Take risks and try out new languages
- Aim to know at least two languages
- Encourage others to learn and use languages outside of the classroom e.g. in the playground, at home, at dinnertimes, in the library
- Help teachers with their Spanish lessons and other language related activities
- Fetch and look after the language resources especially the dictionaries
- Pass on important messages from Sra. Stevens
- Suggest ideas and be enthusiastic
In addition, they often play a key role in our international projects, leading by example and acting as ambassadors.
The 2019-20 ambassadors answered two questions:
Why did you volunteer to be a Language Leader?
I volunteered to be a Language Leader because I love learning languages; when I go on holiday I like showing off how I know how to speak the language.
I wanted to find out more about languages as they’re fun.
I volunteered as a Language Leader because I like learning how other people communicate.
I wanted to represent the school.
I thought it would be fun!
I volunteered because languages make me happy.
I wanted to explore the different languages and how to speak them
I volunteered because I like to learn languages
I volunteered because I wanted to try something new
What do you like about languages?
I like speaking languages – it makes me feel proud!
It makes countries different
I like how other people talk and I don’t understand them.
I like that if you learn a language, you can communicate and understand people that speak other languages.
I like the sounds you make and how you spell words in other languages
I like that different countries have different ways of communicating.
It’s fun to learn!
I like that everyone’s language is unique
I find them interesting,
When you go on holiday you can speak that language.